So if you are like me and take your baby in for almost every little thing you quickly learn that in some cases there isn’t anything they can really do. They pretty much tell you that it will pass and to call if things get worse. Most doctors don’t recommend any type of cold medicine because it’s so easy to overdose a baby. But there are some things you can do to help your baby be more comfortable.
1. If they have a fever give Tylenol or Ibuprofen (if they are over six months). Obviously if the fever gets too high or last more than three days CALL THEIR DOCTOR!
2. Get a humidifier. Seriously it helps!
3. Steam up the Bathroom. My son is always super congested in the mornings and right before bed when he is sick. Go into the bathroom, shut the door, and run a hot shower. Stay in there for as long as you can. You can also run the shower get the room all steamy and then run the baby a bath. This is what I have to do most of the time. There is no way I’m going to be able to keep him entertained long enough for the steam to work sitting on the toilet in the bathroom.
4. If your baby is over three months old, put baby Vick’s on the bottom of their feet and cover with socks or footed pj’s. I usually did this with my son right before bedtime and when he woke up in the morning he was noticeably less congested. I’ve also heard that some people put a little Vick’s and water in a Scensy warmer. It might be worth a shot.
5. Suction. The nose bulb helps get that yuck out!
6. Baby saline spray is amazing and I really recommend it! Make sure to get the SPRAY and not the drops. The spray really gets back there and helps loosen and get out all that yucky stuff. You can also suction with the nose bulb to get even more stuff out. I usually used it right before I gave him a bottle or put him to bed to make him more comfortable.
7. Let them sleep at an incline. They make crib wedges to put under their mattress or if you are like me and co-sleep prop them up in your arms on your pillow. This really worked for me because I could tell if he was getting a fever and help when I was waking up 50 times at night to make sure he was still breathing!
I’m sure I’m missing a few things but I hope this helps!